Job Title: Vice President, Public Affairs and Communications
Reports to: Executive Vice President
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Portland, Oregon
Founded in 1934, the Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems (OAHHS) is a statewide, nonprofit trade association that works closely with local and national government leaders, business and citizen coalitions, and other professional health care organizations to enhance and promote community health and to continue improving Oregon's innovative health care community.
The Oregon Association of Hospitals and Health Systems provides leadership in health policy and comprehensive member services that strengthen the quality, viability and capacity of Oregon hospitals to best serve our communities. OAHHS’ values are built on mutual respect, collaboration and thoughtful execution.
The Vice President of Public Affairs and Communications will serve as the Association spokesperson and lead the development, integration and implementation of the organization’s strategic communications. As a key member of the senior management team, this positions mission will be to advance the Association’s strategic plan and position the organization as an innovative, proactive, and leading voice in Oregon’s dynamic health care community. This position will manage the communications team and lead the development and execution of strategies, resources, platforms, initiatives, and campaigns that advance health care issues and policies critical to Oregon’s hospitals and the patients they serve.
Working at OAHHS gives employees the opportunity to grow in a cutting-edge healthcare environment. The position comes with generous 401k contributions, a bonus structure, and health care currently covered at 100% for employees once all waiting periods have been satisfied.
- Serve as a highly-engaged, inspirational and collaborative leader and manager of the association’s Communications team.
- Serve as a key member of the senior management team focused on ensuring alignment between Association, subsidiaries and principal stakeholders.
- Collaborate on strategic planning activities for ballot initiatives, legislative strategy, strategic partnerships, and engagement with key stakeholders and outside groups to advance Association objectives.
- Develop and cultivate relationships with members of the hospital community, important advocacy groups, key elected officials and members of the media to advance the association’s mission and our members’ interests.
- Work proactively to ensure that our association members’ communications needs are being met through effective multi-channel outreach.
- Anticipate and identify sensitive issues or potential challenges that could negatively impact Association priorities and initiatives.
- Help implement a culture of communication throughout the organization.
OUTREACH & COMMUNICATIONS
- Lead messaging and communications with our key audiences including our members, the media, policymakers, regulators, key influencers, and the public.
- Serve as lead communications officer, working closely with CEO, EVP, and other Senior Management to develop strategic external and internal communications plans to support the organization’s larger strategic vision and objectives.
- Lead conversations and strategic communications planning around legislative and ballot measure initiatives.
- Lead proactive, multi-media outreach strategies through earned and paid media to increase awareness among stakeholders of the hospitals’ positive impacts in the communities they serve.
- Develop and direct all public relations campaigns, including legislative issue advocacy campaigns, public opinion polling, and ongoing special projects.
- Build, track, and manage communications budgets for all Association programs and initiatives; present initiatives and results to Board of Directors.
- Lead crisis communications efforts and activities supporting issues management as needed.
- Manage relationships with Association’s beat reporters to proactively position Association as key part of healthy communities.
- Collaborate with the Association leadership to prepare speeches, letters and presentations.
- Reach departmental KPIs and meet tight deadlines.
- Support and contribute to a positive workplace culture. Live the values of the Association, including mutual respect, collaboration, and thoughtful execution.
- Lead a small team of communicators who support the organization’s strategic goals and are responsible for outbound messaging development and channel communications.
- Oversee the planning for content strategy and development to align with larger organization goals and objectives, including the statewide magazine, monthly e-newsletter, and social media channels.
- Foster a positive team environment and promote cross-departmental collaboration with colleagues, supporting a culture of communication throughout the organization.
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of five years’ experience required in association or nonprofit organizations, especially in communications, media relations, public affairs, and advocacy campaigns.
- Bachelor’s degree (or greater) required in journalism, communications, public relations, or related field.
- A proven team player attitude with extensive experience managing, mentoring, and leading teams.
- Exceptional interpersonal and diplomatic skills, emotional intelligence, and ability to work as a member of a highly-functional team required.
- A self-motivated, assertive, and self-confident disposition with the ability to act with urgency and an ability to anticipate and respond quickly to business requirements.
- A high degree of emotional intelligence, displaying candor and integrity at all times.
- A strong business acumen, strategic thinking ability, and degree of judgment.
- Resourcefulness, creativity, enthusiasm and a results-oriented mindset.
- Experience working with state and national media.
- Able to work both independently and as a team member who interacts well with all levels of internal staff, outside clients or customers, stakeholders and vendors.
- Organized, attentive to detail and able to manage multiple tasks and meet simultaneous deadlines.
- Display creativity, innovative ideas, and resourcefulness.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications.
- Experience within the political environment, ideally direct experience in successful planning and execution of ballot measure campaigns.
- Experience in advancing bipartisan initiatives through strategic communications to policymakers.
- Collaborative skills with a track record of building strong bipartisan relationships.
- Exceptionally strong oral and written communication skills for effectively interfacing with key policy, decision, and influence makers within the government and the organization.
- Strong organizational skills in order to maintain a high level of productivity, reliability, innovation, and priority-setting.
- A willingness to work collaboratively by incorporating diverse perspectives and appropriately managing relationships both internal and external.
- A passion for positively impacting the health care system and the people who rely on it.
- Trade association experience in political campaigns using digital and traditional marketing best practices.
- Aware of current news regarding health care and hospitals, and experienced in health care, hospitals, and the associated legislative and regulatory policy issues.
- Articulate and capable of persuading and influencing audiences on complex issues.
- Strong and efficient writing skills, including the creation, composition, and editing of written materials. Able to rapidly respond to requests for written materials.
- Fluid knowledge of digital and social media environment, including blog, email and social media strategy and best practices.
- Able to sit for long periods of time.
- Able to communicate clearly using a phone, personal interaction, and computer.
- Able to travel via car and plane.
Email your cover letter and resume to OAHHS@mambomedia.com to apply for this position. Please do not contact the employer directly.